The Canarian Government has extended restrictions that prevent partially or unvaccinated travelers entering Tenerife from so-called 'third' countries, which includes the UK, until 28th February 2022.
This is a major blow for British tourists who were hoping the restrictions would be scrapped in time for the February half term and means many travelers may have to cancel or move their holidays.
It particularly affects families with children who have recently turned 12, or are about to turn 12, as they will not be able to get fully vaccinated in time for their trip. British children can't get their first dose until they turn 12 and must wait at least 12 weeks before their second dose.
Understandably these rules have caused a lot of confusion so here are some guidelines to clear things up.
British and other 'third' country nationals:
- Children aged 0-11 can visit the Canaries without being vaccinated and do not need to present any negative tests, even if they turn 12 whilst in the Canaries.
- Tourists aged 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to enter. They do not need to provide a negative test. Proof of recovery is not accepted. There are no exceptions, not even on medical grounds.
- To be classed as fully vaccinated you must have had both doses of a 2 dose vaccine, or one dose of a single dose vaccine (such as the Janssen vaccine), at least 14 days before you travel.
- Your vaccination certificate expires after 270 days, getting a booster jab will refresh your certificate
EU and Schengen nationals:
- The rules differ depending on the risk status of the country you are visiting from, see EU and Schengen entry requirements for more information.
The above requirements will remain in place until at least the 28th of February 2022.
The Canarian Government also confirmed that Tenerife, Gran Canaria and La Palma will all remain on level 4 alert for another week due to the high incidence rate. La Gomera moves up a level to join Fuerteventura, El Hierro, and Lanzarote that remain on level 3.
The alert levels are reviewed every Thursday so follow us on social media and check back every week to get the latest information.
Visit our Covid Help Center for more information.